Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Back to the MRM website

Home Help Login Register

+  Model Railroad Museums.com || Forum
|-+  Model Railroad
| |-+  Non Rolling Stock
| | |-+  Scenery: homemade H0 trees from sedum
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scenery: homemade H0 trees from sedum  (Read 9899 times)
Felix
Administrator

« on: 07-10-2009, 00:10:09 »

The well known Eurospoor event coming up at the end of this month (see calendar) reminded me of a tip I received at last years Eurospoor. I got the golden tip regarding self-made trees made out of sedum that perfectly fit H0 scaled tracks. Sedum is a
succulent perennial plant of the family Crassulaceae native to Eurasia.
according to Wikipedia. It looks like the first picture on this website. Or search Google for pictures of "Sedum telephium" aka "Autumn Joy".

In times of winter sedum loses its flowers and the dried out flower head can be used to make model trees out of it. So what to do?

• Cut off the sedums dry flower heads and dry them some more in a warm place somewhere inside your home. At least for one week.
  • When that's done, prepare a 1:1 ratio "wood glue:water" solution (make sure it's fluid) and put some foilage (for example Woodland Scenics) into a small bowl.
  • Carefully dip the dry sedum heads into the glue-water solution and after that in the bowl containing the foilage.
    exclaim Be very careful in this step since the dry sedum material is very brittle!
  • Leave your self-made trees to dry for a day or two.

If everything is dried up your trees will look something like the pictures below (depending on the foilage colors used) and are ready for use!

These trees can of course be cut down to somewhat smaller pieces in order to make them better fit your landscape. Now they look a bit mediterranean razz

Have fun! smile
« Last Edit: 23-04-2011, 21:19:57 by Felix » Logged

Kind regards, Felix

Founder Modelrailroadmuseums.com & Forum Admin | Forum Rules | Search Function
Featured websites The Signal Page // All information about railway signaling worldwide! Train, Tram and Subway
John

« Reply #1 on: 07-10-2009, 11:12:21 »

Wow, your method gives a stunning result (and I've got sedum in my backyard too)! surprised
I very much like this simple way these trees are made, they look almost real!

I've used some DIY tree kits but that tends to get rather expensive sad Your tip is much better.

Thanks smile

Cheers, John.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: